Cascadia Ruby 2014 - Day Two
Note: This post is an un-contexualized, un-edited, & un-proofed bunch of notes taken during Cascadia Ruby 2014.
80,000 Plaintext Passwords: An Open Source Love Story in Three Acts
- John the Ripper password cracker.
- Expensive key schedule blowfish. eksblowfish.
- BCrypt dollar signs are delimieters, hash on far right. Salt on left.
- 10 = cost
- $ 2a $ 10 $ salt $ hash
- 12 to 13 range for bcrypt cost.
Programming in the Small - Teaching my 5 Year Old Ruby
Events - IE does not support server sent events. - EventSource API.
- Cylyndrical map.
- Spheriod map.
- Torus map (“donut”).
Machine Learning in Ruby - C Libs - JRuby - R - Thoughtful Machine Learning (Book) - Facial Classifications - The Kernel Trick - thoughtfulml.com
Card counting - is legal via only your brain.
Hacking & Federal Procurement - $250billion + a year. - Bid on government contracts.
- Rubocop: Styleistic errors.
Talking about money.
- Lie about what your previous salary was.
- Employers are only allowed to verify employment dates.
- 1935 Extneded National labours act to allow talking about salaries.
- Ruby is bad at CMS’s
- Comfortable Mexican Sofar
- Easy to write plugins
- Stop using TDD.
- Stop memoizing. Conceptualize your lifecycle.
- Get rid of private methods. Removes variability of input.
- 5-6 cups of mashed fruit
- Add a box epctin and bring to a rolling boil.
- 4 cups of sweetner.
- Another rolling boil.
- remove from heat.
- Refridgerate or freeze
- Test induced design damage.
- Dependency Injection done wrong sucks.
- Write better code and better tests.
Joel Stimson Citizen Science
- Where regular people go to help scientists.
- Stardust at home.
- Zooniverse: Glassifying Galaxies.
- User services as a gem.
- Permissions service as a gem.
Bitcoin mining. Fastest bitcoin mining chips in the world.
- Help new people.
- Types of investment
- Code Reviews
- Actively Welcome People
- Slight Adaptations
How Not to Be Lonely: An Extrovert’s Guide to Working Alone Tools:
Engage in active communication! Cultivate your voice.
Pair programming. Everybody’s remote.
Nitty Gritty Service Building