I finally decided to run some updates on the ol' blog and noticed some posts had missing content after the update. At a glance all the missing content seemingly used raw HTML tags. A quick look to the rendered source found comment tags in all the previous HTML locations: <!-- raw HTML omitted --> It turns out somewhere along the line (Hugo v0.6.0) the markdown rendering engine was changed to Goldmark.
Despite being in the HTML 4.01 spec since 1999 I picked up another small frontend tip recently. When adding anchors on a page for the purpose of in-page links my typical method for years has been to add a link with the anchor name in the href and an anchor tag with a name attribute. <a href="#productList">View more products</a> Some page content… <a name="productList"></a> <ul class="productList">…</a> Just the other day @ry5n informed me that a link that corresponds to an elements id will work just the same and there’s no need to add an additional anchor with a name.
This week at the office I’ve been on a coding hiatus and just doing a lot of copy placement and markup. The client requested having a numbered list of categories separated by type headers. I added markup as such: %ul %li %h2 Video %ol %li Animation %li Documentary %li Music Video %li Narrative %li Poetry/Experimental %li Collaboration %li UNICEF Challenge %li %h2 Print %ol %li Photo Collection/Digital Story/Photo Essay %li Poster/Collage/Campaign Output: